RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY
In those areas of the earth where the level of volcanic activities is quite high, the rocks present in the earth are usually very hot. This heat energy of rocks present in the earth is called geothermal energy and can be used to produce electricity. To produce electricity by using geothermal energy holes are drilled in the surface of earth and pipes are put into them down to hot rocks. Then water is run across these pipes. When this water comes in contact with the hot rocks, then it gets converted into steam and comes out of pipes with great pressure. This high pressure steam is then used to rotate the turbines which generate electricity.
Geothermal Power Plant
Advantages of Geothermal Energy
- It is a renewable source of energy.
- It does not produce any type of environmental pollution.
- Geothermal power plants produce energy 24 hours a day.
- It requires less area of land as compared to any other kind of power plant.
Test Your Understanding and Answer These Questions:
- What is geothermal energy?
- Is geothermal energy renewable?
- How geothermal energy works?