REFLECTION OF LIGHT
NEW CARTESIAN SIGN CONVENTIONS FOR REFLECTION BY SPHERICAL MIRRORS
For measuring the various distances in the ray diagrams of reflection by spherical mirrors, we shall adopt the following system of signs called new cartesian sign conventions.
- All the distances in a ray diagram of reflection by spherical mirrors are measured from the pole of the spherical mirror.
- The distances measured in the direction of incident light are taken as positive.
- The distances measured in the direction opposite to the direction of incident light are taken as negative.
- The heights measured upwards and perpendiculars to the principal axis of the mirror are taken as positive.
- The heights measured downwards and perpendiculars to the principal axis of the mirror are taken as negative.
Test Your Understanding and Answer These Questions:
- Write New Cartesian Sign Conventions for spherical mirrors.
Developers of Fun Science
M.Sc, B.Ed. & LL.B.
Teacher, Author & Innovator
Entrepreneur & Innovator