10 PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF METALS
- Metals are malleable:- All the metals can be beaten into thin sheets with a hammer e.g. gold, silver aluminium etc.
Uses of Aluminium Foil
It is used for packing food items such as chocolates, biscuits, medicines, cigarettes etc. it is also used for making milk bottle caps. Cooking utensils are also made from Aluminum sheets.
- Metals are ductile:- Metals can be stretched into thin wires. But all metals are not equally ductile. Some metals are more ductile than others e.g. gold, silver and copper etc
- Metals are good conductors of heat and electricity:- All the metals are good conductors of heat. Silver metal is best conductor of heat and lead is the poorest conductor of heat.
Silver is also good conductor of electricity and next to it comes copper. Iron and mercury are poor conductors of electricity.
- Metals are Lustrous and can be polished.
- Metals are solid at room temperature.
- The melting and boiling points of metals are generally high.
- All metals are strong.
- Generally, metals are hard. But sodium and potassium are soft metals and can be cut with a knife.
- Metals are heavy.
- Metals are sonorous i.e. metals produce sound when hit with an object.
Test Your Understanding and Answer These Questions:
Developers of Fun Science
M.Sc, B.Ed. & LL.B.
Teacher, Author & Innovator
Entrepreneur & Innovator
Share your comments / feedback here.