Hormones are very important biochemicals produced in the body by specialized group of cells called glands. Chemically hormones are composed of proteins. These regulate the various metabolic reactions in the body. These are required only in small amount. Their low or over production in the body may cause serious health problems.
Characteristics of Hormones
- Hormones are produced within the body by endocrine glands.
- Hormones do not act on the glands which produce them. They act on some other organs of the body called target organs.
- Hormones are directly released into the blood by endocrine glands so that they may reach the target organ by blood circulatory system.
- Hormones may accelerate or inhibit specific physiological processes.
- Hormones are effective only in small amount.
Test Your Understanding and Answer These Questions:
- What are hormones?
- What are characteristics of hormones?
Developers of Fun Science
M.Sc, B.Ed. & LL.B.
Teacher, Author & Innovator
Entrepreneur & Innovator
Share your comments / feedback here.